Want a recumbent exercise bike but the fact that most models take up a large amount of space is giving you second thoughts? Then what you really need is a solidly built foldable recumbent bike, one that’s easy to fold down, tough, and designed for heavy daily use.
This innovative foldable recumbent exercise bike by Exerpeutic Gold is the perfect solution. Featuring a foldable, lightweight design, you can enjoy the same type of effective workout you’ll get from a traditional, fixed model, for a fraction of the price.
Overview and Features
Despite the fact that this is a lightweight foldable recumbent, it features a higher than average weight capacity of four hundred pounds. In fact, compared to past models of folding recumbent bikes made by Exerpeutic, this bike’s frame features twenty-seven percent more steel, offering maximum durability.
Cyclists will enjoy eight resistance levels to choose from, a large easy to read display screen, and a thick, cushioned backrest that can accommodate users of all sizes. The bike’s frame design makes it easy for riders to get on and off the bike, even if they’re currently recovering from an injury or have limited mobility.
The display screen will keep track of distance, calories burned, pulse, speed, and length of workout.
When collapsed the bike is folded down to almost half the size and can be easily stored when not in use. The bike itself weighs in at a little over fifty-four pounds, measuring forty-eight inches long and forty-six inches tall.
The bike’s eight resistance levels will help you to vary workout intensity while providing a smoother pedal motion for a more comfortable ride. The friction-free pedaling system is due to the extended leg stabilizers and three-piece cranking system.
Because this is a magnetic resistance bike you’ll also enjoy quiet operation, so you can work out any time of the day or night, without disturbing other members in the home.
- This model has been on the market for a few years and has received plenty of positive feedback from cyclists of all skill levels.
- Reasonably priced, this bike will work for most budgets.
- Notably, this model is very similar to Exerpeutic’s 400 XL recumbent, however, this bike offers a few improvements such as the increased steel content, and higher max weight limit.
- This bike is a great choice for taller cyclists over six feet in height.
- The bike’s large pedals will prevent the rider’s feet from slipping off during an intense workout.
- The LCD display screen features an intuitive user menu that’s easy to navigate. It’s also powered by two double AA batteries.
- Both the seat and backrest are highly adjustable and can move up and down in order to accommodate riders of different heights ranging from five feet up to six feet, five inches.
- The handles located on each side of the seat are equipped with built-in heart rate sensors.
- The attached transportation wheels make it even more convenient to transport and store this bike after a workout.
- The bike can be folded up in a matter of seconds. The compact folded position allows you to fit the bike in tight spaces when not in use.
The biggest downside for those cyclists already used to high-intensity workouts is the limited amount of resistance levels. Most seasoned riders are looking for a minimum of twelve resistance levels, so the eight levels this bike has to offer will most likely be a deal breaker.
Right out of the box the bike’s backrest feels plush and comfortable, but the seat is very stiff and will definitely need to be broken in.
The assembly time can take roughly one to two hours.
The included instructions are detailed and easy to follow, however, the assembly is definitely a two-person job.
If you’re interested in a recumbent bike that comes equipped with advanced features including more resistance levels and preset workout programs, then take a look at our review of the Xterra SB2.5r Recumbent Exercise Bike
Conclusion and Rating
Definitely the best recumbent bike in this category, the bike’s foldable design makes it possible for apartment dwellers to enjoy the same type of comfortable and challenging workouts that they’d normally get from a large fixed recumbent exercise bike.
This is a foldable recumbent bike that’s surprisingly strong and built to last, you’ll love the space-saving design, comfortable seat, large pedals, and simple user interface. Considering the bike is equipped with only eight resistance levels, we don’t recommend it for advanced cyclists. Overall, the solid, durable frame, easy to use interface, large LCD display and the bike’s ability to fold down to just half its size make this the perfect model for the cyclist who is short on space in the home. We gave this bike a rating of four and a half out of five stars.